A couple of weeks back I talked about Oracle Application Express which allows you to create web-based applications without any coding using an Oracle XE database for free with the only limitation being that the database size can be a maximum of 4 GB. You are restricted to the Oracle XE database and the options available for creating your web application are very minimalistic.
This week I came across the free WaveMaker Visual Ajax Studio. Now this is a complete Drag Drop development environment which allows non-programmers to visually design and create a web application:
- with AJAX capabilities (uses Dojo)
- using any database (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server etc.)
- based on Enterprise Java capabilities (uses Spring, Hibernate, Web services)
- deployable to any Java based server
- that works on all major browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari)
- which is secure (using LDAP, Active Directory, POJOs etc.)
[Wavemake IDE running on Safari]
Since its based on open source technologies and is open source itself, you never have to worry about the product to go out of existence or costing you an arm and a leg in the future. Similar commercial products in the past have been dumped by their companies leaving the customers who have based their software on the platform in the lurch. This cannot happen with open source software.
Since its based on Java and can be deployed to any Java server, it can take advantage of Java Enterprise features. It can also make use of Grid and Cloud technologies.
Definitely consider using it for your next Enterprise ready software development project.